CEO fraud, also known as “business email compromise“, is a type of cybercrime that involves criminals posing as the CEO or another high-level executive in order to trick employees into transferring money or divulging sensitive information. It can be a serious threat to businesses, as it can result in significant financial losses and damage to the company’s reputation.
To protect against CEO fraud, there are several steps that businesses can take:
- Implement two-factor authentication for email accounts: This adds an extra layer of security by requiring employees to enter a code sent to their phone or generated by a security token in order to access their email accounts.
- Use strong and unique passwords: Use passwords that are long and complex, and consider using a password manager to generate and store unique passwords for each account.
- Educate employees: Employees should be trained to recognize the signs of CEO fraud and to be cautious when receiving requests for sensitive information or large transfers of money. Encourage them to verify the identity of the person making the request before taking any action.
- Set up alerts and monitoring: Use tools such as email filters or mailbox rules to flag suspicious messages, and consider setting up alerts for large financial transactions.
- Implement security protocols: Ensure that your business has strong security protocols in place, such as secure servers, firewalls, and antivirus software.
- Regularly review and update your security measures: Cybercriminals are constantly finding new ways to bypass security measures, so it’s important to regularly review and update your security protocols to ensure that they are still effective.
By taking these precautions, businesses can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to CEO fraud. While it’s not possible to completely eliminate the risk of cybercrime, these steps can help protect your business and your employees against this type of scam.
Get in touch
Interested in scheduling a security awareness training? Or curious about how to raise awareness for your company? Then contact us using the form below. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions!